WHY WE NEED THIS INITIATIVE: Young people should have the opportunity to develop their talents in the arts just as in any other subject. This page contains information for:
- Young Musicians – thinking about starting, or already started.
- Sponsors, Donors and Helpers!
For the latest event news, please follow us: on Facebook.
- INFORMATION FOR YOUNG MUSICIANS
At GO PLAY! on Wednesday 9th October, we had 143 children from local primary schools! The message to those that attended is:
If the project launch has inspired you to start playing an instrument:
- Tell your teacher and ask your school office for more info
- Contact the Purbeck Instrument Loan Scheme (PILS)
If you already play a musical instrument and would like to join a group:
If you play, and would like a challenge:
- Enter the Rotary Young Musician competition on 8th February
- Join in one of the Purbeck Art Weeks workshops
- Get tickets for a free BSO concert!
If you enjoy singing:
- check out the Purbeck Youth Choir
- or the Bournemouth Symphony Children’s Chorus!
Everything you need to know is on our Facebook Page: (Approximately how much do lessons cost? How do I find a teacher? How do I know which instrument is right for me? .. )
Jay Buckle (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
..and we will find all the answers to all your questions.
- INFORMATION FOR HELPERS, SPONSORS, PARENTS and DONORS!
As Purbeck based organisations, we are keen to promote professional performances in local schools which inspire our children and encourage them to learn an instrument. We have joined with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra to make this happen and the initiative started on October 9th in Swanage with GO PLAY! .. for 148 local primary school children. We had some local funding from donors and sponsors including Swanage Rotary, The Isle of Purbeck Arts Club and Purbeck Art Weeks (PAW) Festival with the balance being provided by the Dorset Music Hub. Due to cuts and the emphasis on core subjects, the schools themselves have little money to spare, and we will need to sustain and develop this initiative for the future.
CURRENT OFFERS: Purbeck Instrument Loan Scheme (PILS, which is part of the Arts Club) provides orchestral instruments for hire to local schoolchildren for only £20 a year. Students can join the Scheme, try playing an instrument, and change to another if their first choice is not right for them. There are discounts for families where more than one child is borrowing an instrument and bursaries for those learning ‘endangered instruments’ such as the oboe, bassoon, trombone, tuba, viola, cello and double bass. Recently there has been a decline in the number of children taking instrumental lessons, so there are plenty in stock, from the double bass to the flute, for young musicians to start their musical journeys.
THE FUTURE: Swanage & Purbeck Rotary, PILS, the Dorset Music Hub, the PAW Festival, Purbeck International Chamber Music Festival, and BSO musicians are committed to enriching the musical experiences of the children of Purbeck. We will bring performers to play in our local schools and through workshops will engage our young students in practical performance. Let’s get these PILS instruments used and the musicians of the future inspired!
Your interest and financial contributions are vital to the success of this on-going project.
Our aims are for the young people to:
- experience how music making can be exciting and creative
- open their minds to new ideas and team working
- be inspired to learn a musical instrument
The initiative started on Wednesday October 9th in Swanage. During the day, the BSO musicians introduced the young people to:
- hear thirteen BSO instrumentalists perform, individually and as an ensemble
- performing a song together with the ensemble
- using instruments to explore and create music with the ensemble
- learning about playing in an orchestra, including listening and communication skills and participate in a fun “air orchestra”
Every participant completed a Discover Music Award on the day, which can lead to higher level Awards if the children continue to explore music further.
The following five schools participated:
- Swanage Primary
- St Mark’s Primary
- St Mary’s Primary
- St George’s Primary
- Corfe Castle Primary
143 young people attended.
This event will be followed with more workshops and liaising closely with our local secondaries, The Purbeck and The Swanage Schools. There will be a new YOUTH MUSIC FESTIVAL in July 2020, workshops during Purbeck Art Weeks, and on 8th & 9th February, the ROTARY YOUNG MUSICIAN COMPETITION in Swanage.
Please join us if you would like to contribute to this initiative to bring music performance of the highest standard into Purbeck schools, both primary and secondary.
You can help by:
Making a donation via the Purbeck Instrument Loan Scheme:
By BACS to: PILS 40-43-38 01382446 (use reference ‘PYMI’ please)
or by cheque payable to ‘PILS’ (with ‘PYMI’ on reverse) posted to:
9 Bon Accord Road
- Look out for our autumn Crowdfunding initiative soon, and receive further updates by joining our Facebook Group.